1. Merging onto the highway can be the best part of the trip. The ability of an electric motor to give maximum torque from low speeds completely changes the experience of zipping onto a fast-moving highway. This is one EV secret that no one talks about.
2. Everyone is curious about the car. All my friends ask questions about it. Even strangers in parking lots—all the time. No one has yet turned down the chance to take it for a drive around the block, and they all come back surprised.
3. I don’t miss gas stations that much. Yes, I still visit for a car wash or to use their bathrooms once in awhile or to check my tire pressure. But otherwise, I don’t miss them.
4. I hardly ever use public charging. I nearly always charge at home. There are a pretty good number of public chargers in my area—and I am glad they are there—but it’s cheaper and more convenient to charge at home at night. The one place that public charging is really a lifesaver is DC fast charging along highways.
5. I’m saving a lot of money on fuel. My utility has a time-of-use rate, so we always plug in the car in the evening, when the cost is low. We have solar panels and sell power back to the grid mid-day when the cost is highest, which is also great. My best guess is that we are saving about $100/month on gasoline, even with current low prices.
Read more: Planet Experts